Wednesday, August 19, 2015

If you're not first...you're last!

Today’s topic: Participation


Yes, this topic has been in the news for several days now. I refrained from saying anything on social media about this, but it makes me laugh. James Harrison, Pittsburg Steeler’s linebacker, recently returned his sons’ trophies because they were “participation trophies”. While I think the amount of national news this is receiving is somewhat ridiculous, I do however agree with Mr. Harrison. It’s hard for me to think about what we are doing to our kids these days by giving them the run of the mill trophy for showing up. I know I probably received some participation ribbons or something along those lines when I was younger, but now that I am older it makes me cringe at the fact. I believe that giving kids these participation “medals” in sports gives them a false sense of security. This in my opinion is the quickest way for parents to fall into the delusion that there child is the best and should never be ‘on the bench’.

I come from a long line of athletes and pretty much all my best friends are or at one time participated in higher level sports. I know they would all agree with me when I say you HAVE to earn what you get. If I relied heavily on participation awards when growing up I know for a fact I wouldn’t have been a part of a State Championship team or an Elite 8 team in college.

A couple of women are going to make history soon by being the first females to graduate from the Army Ranger course. The current class started in April with 381 men and 19 women. They are among the elite and most mentally tough people in our nation. I assume the males and females who couldn’t finish this course didn’t get a “participation medal” for trying.

Until my job security is based on the fact that I showed up and participated in teaching versus how my students are actually progressing will I be okay with this.

**Steps off soapbox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment